Chicago, Illinois, USA - Travel Guide
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very good, mostly sunny with a few clouds. One day it rained a little.
Traveled With/Met Traveling:
Myself and my husband
Warwick Allerton - it is a historic hotel on the magnificent mile. Great location, small rooms.
I didn't know much Chicago history before we went, it was really interesting to learn. I didn't realize the Chicago fire in the 1800s burned the whole city to the ground and they had to completely rebuild.
- Giordanos - Heard from multiple people this was the best deep dish pizza and we loved it!
- Stan Donuts – So good, we loved the maple and buttermilk
- Little Goat Diner – Great food, we loved the sandwiches and potatoes
- Chicago Dog – I was a little skeptical of this, but I have to say it was very delicious
- Garretts Popcorn – Amazing caramel popcorn
- Magnolia Bakery – they have this in New York and I didn’t realize they had it in Chicago too. I absolutely love the banana pudding.
- Au Cheval – Best cheeseburger I have ever had in my entire life!
- Bongo Room – Pancakes were great, we loved the white chocolate, caramel, pretzel one
- Quartino – good Italian, loved the freshly made pasta
These are places we heard were great but didn’t have a chance to try:
- Duck Duck Goat
- The Publican
- Girl and the Goat – get a reservation early
- Pats Pizza Deliery
- Firecakes donuts
- The doughnut vault
- Mollys cupcakes
- DMK Burger Bar
- Lou Malnatis
- Wildberry – use no wait app for this place
- Goddess and the baker
- Navy Pier
- Enjoy the public art
- The Crystal Gardens
- The second-floor exit takes you to the beautiful, serene Crystal Gardens. This six-story glass atrium is free to the public and offers views of the Chicago Skyline, Lake Michigan, and the rest of Navy Pier.
- Great view of Skyline,
- Ferris Wheel and Rides
- Shopping on Magnificent Mile
- Chicago Tribune Tower – interesting building because rocks from all over the world are embedded into it.
- Movies in the Park – there are so many movies in the park that happen during the summer. Get the chi parks app and it gives you all the information about what is going on in all the different parks
- Millennium Park – the earlier you get there the better
- Cloud Gate (aka The Bean)
- The Lurie Garden
- Jay Pritzker pavillion
- The Crown Fountain
- Farmers Markets - there are multiple going on, so look into which ones are
- The 606 – An abandoned stretch of railroad which has been turned into a 2.7 mile multi-use recreational trail
- Sky Deck at the Willis Tower or John Hancock Building – Great views of the city
- Grant Park
- Buckingham Fountain
- Shoreline Sightseeing Architecture Tour – Definitely a favorite part of our trip!! A must do!
- Watch the fireworks at Navy Pier
- Rent bikes and bike along Lake Shore Trail
- 18-mile path along the coast of Lake Michigan that connects neighborhoods throughout the city
- Oak Street Beach
- Chicago Riverwalk
- Art Institute of Chicago
- There are so many festivals and events going on, so make sure you look into what is going on while you are there.
- China Town
- Alder Planetarium
- Shedd Aquarium
- Field Museum
Recommendations For Next Time:
Be sure to know the areas you have to get off the train or bus to transfer to another one. We got off the train and walked a few minutes to catch a bus and realized once we got off we weren't in a great area and felt a little uncomfortable. I knew the area we were going was fine, but I didn't look into where we would have to get off and walk for the transfer.